Rural Metro’s Specialty Fire Division is nationally recognized as a leader in fire protection services. We maintain our important role in keeping our nation’s airports, industrial facilities and communities safe and secure by focusing on each customer’s specific safety/environmental and security standards in all aspects of operations.
Firefighting, emergency medical and/or security guard services are provided 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year at various operations located throughout the United States. The Specialty Fire Division is committed to providing the best possible proactive approach to fire safety, prevention and education and security services. We will pursue excellence while remaining efficient and cost effective.
Our fully qualified fire fighters are committed to creating strong and lasting relationships with our customers by fully understanding their needs, maintaining a close working relationship and providing a variety of support enhancements. The experience, knowledge and expertise of our qualified firefighters make Rural/Metro Fire a valuable partner to our customers.
The division maintains membership in the following organizations: National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC); Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting Working Group (ARFF WG); American Association of Airport Executives (AAAE); AAAE-Great Lakes Chapter; Louisiana Airport Managers and Associates (LAMA), and ISNetworld
FIRE FIGHTING SERVICES
AIRCRAFT RESCUE FIRE FIGHTING
As an airport is trusted by crew and passengers alike, safety and security are of utmost importance, with no room for compromise. The Specialty Fire Division considers the specific needs of each airport to customize a program appropriate for each unique location. It’s our way of providing the best protection possible. Rural/Metro Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting (ARFF) personnel also can provide a variety of support enhancements, from airport driver-training programs to OSHA-compliant tenant training. These benefits are in addition to the customary response operations of emergency medical services, hazardous materials, and structural firefighting.
INDUSTRIAL FIRE FIGHTING
Rural Metro’s Specialty Fire Division provides state-of-the-art industrial fire protection, prevention, inspection, hazard mitigation, Training Services, In-Plant Services and technical support services. As a company, RMFD has responded to thousands of fires, hazardous materials releases, rescues and medical emergencies throughout the United States in the airport and industrial facilities.
Emergency Response Services:
- Response to all types of fires including: Structural Fires, Aircraft Rescue & Fire Fighting, Wildland Fires, Storage Tank Fires, Process Area Fires, Chemical Fires and Hazardous Materials Fires
- Response to Technical Rescue Emergencies including: Confined Space Rescue, Trench Rescue, High Angle/Low Angle Rescue, Vehicle Extrications, Rope Rescues, Industrial Rescues and Urban Search and Rescue (USAR) Emergencies
- Response to EMS at the EMT and Advanced Life Support (Paramedic) Levels to include patient transport
- Response to Hazardous Materials and Weapons of Mass Destruction Emergencies at the Operations and/or Technician Level
Fire Protection & Fire Prevention Services:
- Pre-Incident Planning including the development of Threat Assessments
- Development and Issue of Emergency Response Guidelines
- Fire Apparatus and Equipment Management and Maintenance
- Fire Prevention and Safety Inspections
- Fire Cause and Origin Investigations
- Test, Inspection and Maintenance of Facility Fire Protection
- Fire Extinguisher Inspections and Fire Extinguisher refilling and servicing
- Fire Hydrant Inspection, Testing and Maintenance
- Issue of Work Permits: (Hot Work, Confined Space Entry, Excavation, Elevated Work)
Emergency Management Services:
- Development of Emergency Response and Situational Response Plans
- Interoperability Plans and Training with Local Mutual Aid, Local Government, State Government and Federal Agencies
- Conducting and Managing Facility-Wide Drills and Exercises
- Conducting CPR/AED, First Aid training to customers staff
- Review of Federal and State Emergency Preparedness Rules and Regulations
- Interaction with Facility Executive Level Personnel on Compliance to Mandated Emergency Preparedness Rules and Regulations
The Security section performs the key function of maintaining high standards of security management at various operations. The section collaborates closely with agencies such as law enforcement agencies, customer’s planning & engineering departments, Transportation Security Administration officials, and contractors working on customer’s property.
The security staff patrols airport arrival and departure drives, staffs entry/exit access points for the airports area of operations. Additionally Rural/Metro provides security guards for airport construction projects when required. All security staff enforces customer and TSA policies, regulations and procedures. They have the authority to ask persons for identifications and to determine whether individuals are authorized to access secured areas of the airport. Notice of Violation citations are issued by security guards to individuals violating any rules and/or regulations.
- Issue Notice of Violations pertaining to airport Rules & Regulations
- Patrol Arrivals & Departures Drives for illegal parking, maintain orderly traffic flow
- Conduct motor vehicle inspections for vehicles parking and/or entering secured areas of the airport
- Conduct random SIDA (identification badge) inspections in accordance with airport and TSA rules & regulations
- Conduct Concourse Property screening inspections
- Conduct construction motor vehicle inspections at designated construction contractor entry points to airfield.